( Currently 01 )

May 22, 2013

How happy is the little Stone 
That rambles in the Road alone,
And doesn't care about Careers
And Exigencies never fears—
Whose Coat of elemental Brown
A passing Universe put on,
And independent as the Sun
Associates or glows alone,
Fulfilling absolute Decree
In casual simplicity— 
E. Dickinson
R E A D I N G

I'm always reading a great many things at any given time. But at the moment, I am doing my annual revisit to the Duncton Chronicles, a trilogy of books introduced to me just as I was entering my troublesome teenage years. I believe it was the first, great epic that I read and it set a pattern for me that's still very much in place today: I like reading books that you could knock someone out with. There's a special pleasure in those kinds of books. Re-reading is something I only do with my favourite series, and with this particular one, I am still always moved and learn something new about the characters and their story, every time.

L I S T E N I N G   T O

I am the worst when it comes to music. I tend to get very... set in what I like and don't like. Consequently, I often stumble across new music long after the rest of the world has, and tend to fall in love not so much with bands themselves, but with their albums. For example: I am not a big Foals fan. Unless we're talking about their new album, Holy Fire which, dangit, you should go and listen to because it's absolutely great. I like to listen to it in the morning, on my way to work (the civil service my iPod provides is for another post altogether) and I couldn't think of a better way to get your day kicking. Unless it be the Black Keys. But, I digress.

D O I N G

I'm doing, I believe, a great many things. Truth be told, I don't even want to list them here. However, worth mentioning are two little projects I happen to be working on. You could, in a sense, think of the one as rebranding and redesign, as well as a little help towards establishing an online presence. I am wielding my SEO skills like I haven't in a year. As for the other project, it's a simple little redesign for my father's blog, which is in need of some work. As for the rest, writing. Always writing.

T H I N K I N G

I have always liked to say that I have no interest in politics and current affairs, like those lucky few who can turn away from the bad news and get on with their lives. Sadly, the decisions I have taken in my life have ensured that saying the aforementioned has never been an option. Still, there's just no denying that we are now well into the election year and it would all serve us well to remember that, whenever we read the news, or hear about politicians shouting at us, protests and strikes. I am quite certain that it will be as tumultuous as it has always promised to be and quite uncertain of what will happen at the end of it all, too.

No comments: